Lucidpress’s mail merge feature is perfect for creating smart fields that are populated from a CSV file that you can either download yourself or order prints from our print partners.
- Insert a mail merge field
Create a text box. Highlight the text in the text box. Then, click on "Mail Merge field"
- Name your mail merge field
Make sure to match it up with the column name in your CSV file.
- After you are finished creating your document, click the download button
- Upload the file and line it up with your data
- Save the files to your desktop
- Prepare a .csv containing the data that you would like to customize on each document.
Note: The header names will be a place holder on your template; be sure to use names that will allow you to keep track of your data.
- Create a mail merge smart field by opening the Lucidpress template you wish to customize. Highlight the text you wish to replace, right click, and choose “Mail Merge Field.” This can also be done from the “File” menu.
- In the dialog box that appears, label your field. We recommend using the header name as your label to avoid confusion. Click “OK.” Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all of the desired smart fields have been created.
- When you are ready to print and ship your document, click on the “Order Prints” button found in the top-right corner of the screen. Select the desired product type and size. Click “Next.”
- If you have a mail merge smart field on the document you are printing, a dialog box will appear where you can upload the .csv file used to create your smart fields.
- Select how you would like to identify each customized document by selecting the column header in the "Indentify PDF by" drop down menu. If there is not a column that identifies your document in the .csv file, the row number will be used. The identifier will be used in the cart to distinguish documents from destinations if you would like to ship to multiple addresses.
- After your .csv has been uploaded, match the smart field labels created in step 3 to the correct .csv headers that appear in the "Value" drop down lists.
Note: The fields in your Lucidpress template will be replaced for each customized document on a row by row basis according to the data in your .csv document.
- Proceed through the checkout process. Lucidpress will automatically populate individual documents with the corresponding data in your .csv.
- Once your documents have been generated, you can download the first proof or all of the proofs. Be sure to review your PDF to make sure that everything is correct. If everything is satisfactory, proceed by clicking “Approve & Add to Cart."
- In the cart, you will see your documents as they will appear when printed. Each document name now corresponds to the identifier selected in step 6.
- To ship to multiple addresses, select the multi address shipping view. This will allow you to determine the addresses to which you would like each line item shipped.
Note: If you would like to download data merged PDFs without using the print and ship option, follow the same steps by clicking the “Download” button in the top-right corner of the screen.