Advanced locking makes it easy for users to customize content without compromising brand control. Document creators can lock down individual elements of a document, or individual attributes of those elements so that they cannot be changed later. Shapes, images, text boxes, and other design elements can be locked using these features.
The simple locking feature is found in the layers pane.
This feature allows any collaborator on a document to fully lock and unlock items in a document to prevent, for example, accidentally moving those objects. Please note that simple locking cannot be permanent. To permanently lock items in a template, use advanced locking, as described below.
Advanced locking allows you to lock all or some aspects of an element. Using advanced locking, you can lock the size and position, the style, the content, or any combination of the three.
- Lock Size and Position - This locks the place that the element appears on the page, and keeps the size from being changed.
- Lock Style - If this is selected, style aspects of the element (such as border, shadow, opacity, font, and color) cannot be changed.
- Lock Content - This makes it so that the content of the element (for instance, the words inside of a text box or the photo selected) cannot be changed.
You can set up the locking feature from a few different places in the Lucidpress editor. You can see each of these methods of accessing locking here:
The Right Context Pane
The Canvas Header
To see what has been locked on a document, go to "View> Show Locking Restrictions".
The red lock indicates that the size and position, style, and content of an element is fully locked. The yellow lock indicates partial locking-- that only one or two of the three options has been locked. Hover over the yellow lock icon for more information about the locking settings.
Advanced locking is especially useful when applied to templates. The combination of templates and locking allows users to customize the documents, but only to the extent that you designate with your locking settings.
To ensure that the locks you have set up in your document transfer into the document that a user creates from the document, follow these steps:
- Go to the documents list
- Hover your mouse over the document you would like to convert
- Select "More" on the document
- Select "Convert to Template"
- Make sure that "Enforce Locking Restrictions" is checked
These locking restrictions will be applied for every user on your team account, except for Account Administrators or the Account Owner, who can override the locking.
- Smart Fields
- InDesign Import
- Basic and advanced locking
- Custom Templates
- Real Estate Data Import (REDI)